Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:
> Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:
>> Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:

>>> That would actually make things more difficult since then you have to
>>> add some delay into the sysvinit files to wait for the daemon to
>>> become ready before the init.d script returns.

>> Is start-stop-daemon actually relying on the PID file being created to
>> know if the daemon is ready? Or maybe you mean a daemon fork only when
>> it is ready?

> The later.

Indeed, that's the problem with a pure runit-style system.  (A lot of
runit systems and daemontools systems don't worry too much about
dependencies and just assume that things will exit and be restarted until
they're successful, but that doesn't really scale.)

However, it's probably addressable.  For most programs that are meaningful
as dependencies of other programs, there's some visible and probeable sign
that the daemon has finished startup: the creation of a UNIX domain
socket, a named pipe, a TCP or UDP listening socket, etc.  I could see
just telling the init system what to look for to know that the daemon has
started.