Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful, Was: Unofficial repositories on 'debian' domains

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:44:50AM +0100, Eric Valette wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 11:14, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >Debian Squeeze has a very nice set of packages that will make
> >a good fit for this platform. What do you think will be lacking
> >exactly?
>
> XBMC, up to date ffmpeg at least with some non-free extensions for sure.

Actually, ffmpeg changed names to libav recently. The latter is in
Debian (unstable), not yet in debian-multimedia.org's unstable
repository.

Also, I fail to see why you need to be so agressive. Please calm down a
bit.

For the longest time, Debian didn't provide certain patent-encumbered
packages because we thought we couldn't, for legal reasons. Recently,
however, this policy has been changed after we received some legal
advice from lawyers specializing in the area, and as a result the
pkg-multimedia folks are now uploading packages without removal of
features.

If all goes well, eventually debian-multimedia will be obsolete because
everything is in Debian proper; and that would always be better than
having an extra repository, don't you think?

[...]
the following formula:

pi zz a