Re: libidn re-license

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Mar  6, 2012 at 20:35:53 +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> I co-maintain the libidn package.  As upstream, I recently relicensed it
>> from LGPLv2+ to GPLv2+|LGPLv3+.
>
> So maybe that's a stupid question, but... Why?  You didn't have enough
> license headaches?

Well, why not?  There was a reason the FSF published the LGPLv3 after
all.  Others have analyzed the reasons than I can (see for example [1]
and [2]).  The downsides (e.g., changing the license headers, and
discussions like this one) appears small in comparison to me.

/Simon

[1] http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Licensing_FAQ
[2] http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2007-July/058059.html