Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 05:24:16PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Well, I fudged a little here.  You're right that, as written above, nis is
> > not guaranteed to start before autofs.  Due to a (well-understood and
> > recognized) limitation of upstart's current event handling, if the
> > 'runlevel' event is seen before 'starting autofs', the subsequent 'starting
> > autofs' event will *not* block waiting for nis to be started, and so the
> > startup will happen in parallel.

> Which is the problem. Half the time on boot autofs fails to get the maps
> from NIS.

Ah, it looks to me like this is an out-of-order migration then of the autofs
init script to an upstart job when the nis package had yet been converted to
upstart.  That's a bug in those packages, plain and simple.  Seems to have
been reported as
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nis/+bug/569757>.

I've corrected this now for the upcoming Precise release.

> Well, you are totaly cheating and using a dependency based design to
> work around the problem.

Heh.  I don't think this is cheating at all; it's always been the intent to
support this modality in upstart, AFAIK.  There are just some cases where
the currently available built-in semantics fall short of the mark.

> When was wait-for-state introduced? I don't seem to have this on
> Lucid. Another of those growing problems?

Yes.  It was introduced in Ubuntu 11.10.