Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Feb 23, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
>
>> Say you have a desktop system but also have apache, postgresql, ... for
>> some developement work installed. First thing you need when you turn it
>> on is your desktop. The apache and postgresql do not need to be running
>> for you to log in and read your mail. On the other hand you do not want
>> to have to wait for them to start up when you first access them.
> This should be trivial to implement: make these services conditional on
> a specific event/state and enable that state in ~/.xsession and/or
> a given time after booting.

Which would mean modifying each and every service that is not needed to
start X. And then think about the work it entails if you have multiple
priorities: 1: sshd, 2: X, 3: mirror, 4: chroots, 5: buildd, ...

This needs to be something simple. Something where the user just
specifies what is important and the init-thingy rearanges all the
prerequisites automatically to achieve this.

>> This goes double for running fsck. Run it first on the filesystems
>> needed for the important services.
> This is managed in /etc/fstab.

Is it? I know I can put Filesystems into different groups and groups ar
checked one after another. But that only partially helps. But running
fsck seriously degrades the performance of the other partitions on the
same disk. How do I make unimportant filesystems wait till the startup
of important things is done?

And again, this should idealy be automatic. Systemd has the potential
for this.

MfG
        Goswin