Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 01:06:41PM +0100, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the current Ubuntu version 1.4-0ubuntu8
> works perfectly for Debian. Is there any reason to not upload this
> version to Debian?

The main reason is that there is as yet no solid policy that would allow
native upstart jobs to be included in Debian packages.  Without that, the
newer upstream versions of upstart deliver very little value.

I have patches outstanding for debhelper (bug #577040), sysvinit (#660824,
just filed though the patch has been discussed previously), and lsb (bug
#661109).  Combined with finalizing policy bug #591791, that would put us on
firm footing for including upstart jobs in Debian packages without breaking
the sysvinit world.  Then and only then do I think it's worth looking at
bringing upstart 1.4 into Debian.

Cheers,