Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 01:18:41AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
Desktop users have a variety of different ways of using systems. Some people like my parents turn their computer on when they are about to use it and watch it boot. It doesn't hurt to have a desktop system boot quickly while unattended but the attended boot times are annoying.

Well, my mother is sitting next to her computer as well while it is booting. But she has enough patience to wait. It only takes about a minute at most. I think I waisted more time at bus or train stations.

While there are a variety of problems we have to concentrate on the ones that we can solve.

True, but the question is: does the new system solves more problems than it creates? And are the solved problems worth the disadvantages? For a faster boot process?

Also as has been previously noted there is the case of virtual machines which have no BIOS delays etc. It would be nice to be able to reboot a virtual machine providing a service so quickly that the users barely notice the downtime.

In my experience VMs are booting faster than their hardware pendants. I have some system in VMs for testing purposes, and they are booting faster than the real systems.

As I said, if you can save some seconds without breaking things, fine. But for now we don’t have any numbers if the majority of Debian users wants to take the risk or are concerned about some saved seconds.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |