Re: Multiarch file overlap summary and proposal

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 15:46, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Kalnischkies wrote:
>> You generously left out the paragraph describing how APT should
>> detect that the package foo is in fact a library and not, say, a
>> plugin, a dev-package, a dbg-package or a future-coinstallable binary.
>> And the foo:* default would be okay and intuitive for all of those?
> Yes, the foo:native default for installation and foo:* default for
> removal would be intuitive for all of those.
> See [1] for a mental model.
> Hope that helps,
> Jonathan
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.dpkg.general/14028/focus=14031

Why would it be intuitive to add a specific value for the arch attribute with
apt-get install foo   # arch |= native
but remove all values of the attribute with
apt-get remove foo    # arch &= ~all-architectures

Isn't it more intuitive to have it this way:
apt-get remove foo    # arch &= ~native

Maybe we just have different definitions of intuitive.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies