Re: mass bug filing of 'ucf: command not found' errors detected by piuparts
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: mass bug filing of 'ucf: command not found' errors detected by piuparts
- From: Roger Leigh <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:45:31 +0000
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20120213234531.GE8975@codelibre.net>
- In-reply-to: <20120131220722.GZ8797@codelibre.net>
- References: <4F28218D.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4F283A9D.email@example.com> <4F283C93.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20120131195242.GA31728@virgil.dodds.net> <20120131220722.GZ8797@codelibre.net>
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:07:22PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:52:42AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:10:11PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> > > > Interesting timing. initscripts started depending on ucf just a few
> > > > days ago, which makes ucf quasi-essential.
> > > Unless you are going to argue to add it to the essential set, I can't
> > > see why that matters. It's still wrong to use non-essential packages
> > > in postrm unconditionally. One could even argue that an essential
> > > package should not use ucf unconditionally and have a sane fall back
> > > when it's not available.
> > Well, I would argue that packages in the essential set shouldn't be adding
> > new dependencies without some discussion and review on debian-devel first.
> Hopefully we can remove the ucf dependency; please see #648433.
> Currently /etc/default/rcS is intentionally only installed once
> during a fresh install, and never updated afterward. However,
> this precludes ever updating it. Ideally we could make it a
> conffile and handle it entirely with dpkg; this would probably
> require splitting out the variables which should never be touched
> into a separate file under /etc/defaults.
Just FYI, please see #659451. I've split the UTC variable into
/etc/default/hwclock, which means /etc/default/rcS can become a
regular dpkg conffile (in current git only for now). This needs
support in d-i clock-setup (done) and util-linux (pending) before
.''`. Roger Leigh
: :' : Debian GNU/Linux http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/
`. `' Printing on GNU/Linux? http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/
`- GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 Please GPG sign your mail.