Re: DEP-5 and files with white spaces

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:05:25PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Note that another case that I don't think has been discussed, but which is
> probably more common than embedded quote marks, is a filename that's
> invalid UTF-8 (straight ISO 8859-1, for example).

Do these even happen anymore?  Looking at binary packages, I see just one[1]
violation: lletters-media, a package not updated in 6 years.

Of course, it's source packages that matter, can't check them that easily.
Could someone who has all the sources downloaded and unpacked check?  My box
that has them decided to not heed wake-on-lan.

It might be easier to work around the issue by forbidding such filenames.
You can expect build failures when trying to access those files, and they
can't even be unpacked on some filesystems.

[1]. Using dists/unstable/Contents-amd64 for a list of candidates to check,
I might have missed something; I can check .debs in the evening.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple