Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 11:47:19AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Also true.  In fact, it's something that's been bothering me for a long
>> time with linked doc directories.  I'd like to prohibit them in more
>> cases so that we get the binNMU changelogs on disk.

> Relating to binNMU changelogs: do they really serve any purpose?  There
> are no source changes, so is there any real need for a changelog change
> at all?  AFAICT the only reason we do for historical reasons, it being
> the only way previously to effect a version change.

It seems weird not to have a record of *why* the package was rebuilt
somewhere, but I guess I can't think of any reason why I would care off
the top of my head.

In the long run, I really like Guillem's point about making the changelog
dpkg metadata.  We could still put it somewhere on disk by default, but it
would make things like this much cleaner conceptually, or at least it
feels like it would on first glance.