Re: Breaking programs because a not yet implemented solution exists in theory

On 01.02.2012 16:03, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 01:51:17AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> The main place that mailcap is richer than the desktop file that I can see
>> is that mailcap allows you to express the exact command line (including
>> putting %s at different places if needed) and lets you specify different
>> commands for viewing, editing, and printing.  For example:
>>
>> message/rfc822; mutt -Rf '%s'; edit=mutt -f '%s'; needsterminal
>>
>> I don't know if there's any way to do that with desktop files.
>>
>> Also, I don't think there's a desktop equivalent of copiousoutput.
>
> Assuming that Russ did not overlooked something this means that mailcap
> entries can not generatet from desktop files.  So the one-liners
> mentioned by Josselin which might solve 50% of the task could not easily
> enhanced to two-liners doing 100% which do all the work.  In other words
> we dropped support for a technique that is used by several programs and
> it seems a replacement is either hard to do or not possible at all.

Tools like mutt, which need the extended mailcap syntax, can certainly
continue to ship a mime file.

If a package ships both a desktop and a mime file, the conversion-tool
could simply skip the automatic generation of the mailcap entries under
the assumption that the manually written ones take precedence.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?