Re: Patch Tagging Guidelines: DEP-3 moved to ACCEPTED status

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:05:06AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 16 janvier 2012 à 18:07 +0000, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> > I think the DPL should appoint a dictator who will rule on when
> > consensus has been achieved on a DEP.

(I originally interpreted this as being enclosed within <sarcasm> tags)

> Seconded. The DEP process is missing a clear way to make a DEP change
> state. With a single-person (or small team) responsibility, everything
> should be clearer.

I'm not sure I see the point. DEP was never meant to be a device that
gives more power to anyone. It was just a device to keep track of a
discussion that was already happening, document it in some durable form,
and monitor its status. It's not like that the person with the power of
marking a DEP as "ACCEPTED" has the power of creating the corresponding
consensus.

Consensus should exist by itself, ditto for an implementation, and then
the corresponding DEP could be marked ACCEPTED. If that happens too
soon, no big deal, it's in a VCS, we can revert the commit.  Some people
might be fooled in the interim in believing something is "more standard"
than how much it actual is, but the same could have happened to anyone
looking at the archive of some discussion (i.e. without DEP).

If a DEP is in strict need of a formal rubber stamp of standardization,
then its "implementation" should probably correspond to formal
integration into policy (as, IIRC, it is the case for DEP-5).

The above notwithstanding, we can probably learn from this thread that,
for the future, it would help to first announce "I'm about to mark
DEP-$x as ACCEPTED" and then doing that.  I personally don't think it is
a big deal, but given that others disagree, ... why not.

Cheers.