Re: Clarifying the mandatory contents of the Debian copyright file.

Peter Miller <peter.miller.aus@gmail.com> writes:

> Are there any plans to write a tool to scan a project tree and generate
> the DEP-5 debian/copyright file?

> I am my own upstream for many projects, and some of them have thousands
> of source files.  There is no way I am going to write and maintain
> debian/copyright in DEP-5 format by hand.  I imagine that a similar
> problem exists for DDs who package large upstream projects.

> Without an automated tool, I will be ignoring the optional DEP-5 misery.

This objection makes me think that you believe that more information is
required by the DEP-5 format than is in your existing debian/copyright
files.  But the explicit intention of the DEP-5 format is to *not* say
that.  It enables you to record additional information, but absolutely
does not require it.  That's been the purpose of some recent discussions
about how to indicate a copyright and license for the entire package
without listing clauses for specific files, for example.

If there's anything about the current DEP-5 specification that gave you a
contrary impression, could you please point it out?