Re: dokuwiki and /usr

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:47:52PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Enrico Weigelt
>
> > Well, *I* would be *very* suprised by having packaged files under /var.
> > So I would have changed the app to (additionally) look for plugins
> > under /usr (in this case /usr/share/dokuwiki/plugin/)
>
> Then there are about 1490 packages in the archive that would surprise
> you by their installation.
>
> Having packaged files under /var is hardly special.

Also, dpkg's info files are for all practical purposes packaged (even if
they come from control.tar.gz rather than data.tar.gz).

So is most of /var, really.  Whether a file came as-is in the package or has
been created in postinst, a trigger or even later may matter for dpkg but
not for the admin.

Actual state that changes outside of dpkg runs is quite rare:
/var/log/, /var/spool/, /var/lib/urandom, /var/lib/mysql/ and their ilk.

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!