Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On 01/01/2012 03:11 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> writes:
>> On 01/01/2012 01:49 AM, brian m. carlson wrote:
>>> So the only sane thing to do is not change the default, ever.
>> The other sane way is to mark files not in /etc as conffiles.  It
>> semantically sux a bit, but if we have no choice because of upstream
>> decisions (which we don't have enough time to fix), then that might be a
>> way...
> That doesn't help unless you expect sysadmins to change them (unchanged
> conffiles are quietly updated just like any other package file), at which
> point it becomes an FHS violation.
Which is why I wrote "semantically sux a bit" (it's another way to say
a FHS violation ...). But my understanding is that we have no choice
considering the path upstream took.

I'd like to know: is it a normal thing to edit these files in
(or, any other file that udev will use and which will be stored in /usr)?
Or should we expect that *never* anyone will touch them (eg: there's never
a real valid reason to edit them)?