Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Dec 26, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> On 12/22/2011 07:19 PM, Philip Hands wrote:
> > I'm still yet to understand the significant upsides of this proposal
> So far, the only upside that has been written here, if I understand
> well, is less patches for upstream udev, which is important since we
> don't have enough people to work on alternatives/fork/patches.
No, it's not about "patches". More and more things just need /usr at
boot time, and the solution is to mount it in the initramfs.
The only alternative would be to keep moving stuff from /usr to /, which
kind of defeats its purpose.
Also, mounting /usr in the initramfs allows to explore the / to /usr
move, which if practical will bring many benefits and allow supporting
new features.

--
ciao,
Marco