Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
>> True, but / as emergency system is still a valid reason. Thatâ??s why
>> I keep / and /boot outside LVM, so that I can repair/rename/change the
>> LVM system. I did this more than once.
>
> When was the last time you needed to do that?

When I started with LVM I did some mistakes and needed it. But practice
makes perfect. Reasons other than user error are verry rare.

> AFAIK the only reason you need to do LVM stuff from outside LVM nowadays is if
> you want to rename a VG - that's not a common operation.

Huh? vgchange -a n <vg>; vgremove <vg>

You only ever NEED stuff from outside LVM if you want to remove the VG
the system is on, which makes sense, or if you screwed up. E.g. when you
shrink the root LV without having shrunk the filesystem first and need
to undo that. At that point it becomes usefull to have access to the lvm
backup data, which is kind of hard if it is on lvm. If one has no
partition outside of LVM it is a good idea to copy a set of backup
metadata to an usb stick, just in case.

> On one of my AMD64 servers the sum of /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/lib is
> 160M.  On my AMD64 workstation (which has heaps of things installed) it is
> 165M for /usr/bin and /usr/sbin and 1.3G for /usr/lib of which 214M is for
> Libre Office.
>
> Probably the best thing we could do in this regard is to move some stuff from
> /usr to /usr/share or some other tree that is more convenient for placing on a
> different filesystem.
>

> I've got a 1GB USB stick (which is too small for most uses of USB sticks)
> which is setup for system recovery, it has a complete text-mode Debian
> installation.

MfG
        Goswin