Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
> True, but / as emergency system is still a valid reason. That’s why
> I keep / and /boot outside LVM, so that I can repair/rename/change the
> LVM system. I did this more than once.

When was the last time you needed to do that?

AFAIK the only reason you need to do LVM stuff from outside LVM nowadays is if
you want to rename a VG - that's not a common operation.

On one of my AMD64 servers the sum of /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/lib is
160M.  On my AMD64 workstation (which has heaps of things installed) it is
165M for /usr/bin and /usr/sbin and 1.3G for /usr/lib of which 214M is for
Libre Office.

Probably the best thing we could do in this regard is to move some stuff from
/usr to /usr/share or some other tree that is more convenient for placing on a
different filesystem.

I've got a 1GB USB stick (which is too small for most uses of USB sticks)
which is setup for system recovery, it has a complete text-mode Debian
installation.