Re: [Pkg-scala-maint] Binary blobs in source packages

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 08:30:22PM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> But then I don't see how you could avoid circular build-dependencies
> with compilers written in their own language.  fpc/fp-compiler does the
> same.

You can avoid it by having a bootstrap compiler written in another
suitable language, which is capable (even if just) of building the
real compiler. So you write two compilers, A and B. A is written
in, say, AWK or Perl, and compiles the source code for B into
executable code. The executable B is then used to actually compile
software written in the language in question. Indeed, during the
package build, you would build the compiler first with A, and then
again with B, and the binary package would contain just the binary
built with B.

The benefit of the simple bootstrapping compiler A is that it can
often be written quite simply (and, indeed, might not be a real
compiler at all, just an interpreter), and does not need, for example,
to have any optimization phase at all. The only program it ever
needs to compile is B.

Even so, writing A is a fair bit of effort, and many language
implementers don't do that. Which makes things harder for distros,
but nobody cares about the poor distro developer.

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/