Re: [Pkg-scala-maint] Binary blobs in source packages

On 12/13/2011 01:23 PM, Thomas Koch wrote:

> So is it ok to ship binaries in the source package that are only
> required during build? Can I do the same with simple-build-tool,
> which requires itself to build?

Depends on the need. It is quite common for compilers to have some
binaries to do the bootstrapping. Scala uses that since some parts of
the compiler are written in scala. And, of course, I make sure that I
ship new binaries only in the Debian package. Another example is OCaml
which needs an ocamlc to bootstrap itself.

I'm not sure yet if it is really justified for simple-build-tool. I was
planning to have a look at it, but didn't find time to actually do that.
IIRC, another issue is that simple-build-tool requires network access
during the build… I guess it can be fooled somehow but didn't check yet.

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/