Re: [Pkg-scala-maint] Binary blobs in source packages

On 12/13/2011 07:26 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 07:03:55PM +0100, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
>> On 12/13/2011 01:23 PM, Thomas Koch wrote:
>
>>> So is it ok to ship binaries in the source package that are only
>>> required during build? Can I do the same with simple-build-tool,
>>> which requires itself to build?
>
>> Depends on the need. It is quite common for compilers to have some
>>  binaries to do the bootstrapping. Scala uses that since some
>> parts of the compiler are written in scala. And, of course, I make
>> sure that I ship new binaries only in the Debian package. Another
>> example is OCaml which needs an ocamlc to bootstrap itself.
>
> I think the traditional expectation here is that compilers will do
> their initial bootstrap using an out-of-archive binary, and that
> once in the archive, they'll be maintained using a
> self-build-depends instead.

oh, and actually, this is not guaranteed to always work… this is at
least the case with OCaml which performs rather strict checks during
compilation. (This happened already in the past where some core type
changed).

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي