Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 02:47:00PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > While I had originally believed this to be the case when drafting
> > <http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation>, feedback from those
> > implementing this in practice is that dh does *not* export these variables,
> > it only passes them to autoconf.
>
> That's not correct, dh exports the variables. (You made me look though.)
>
> joey@gnu:~/src/filters>head -n2 Makefile
> build:
> 	echo ${CPPFLAGS}
> joey@gnu:~/src/filters>echo 9 > debian/compat
> joey@gnu:~/src/filters>debian/rules build
> dh build
>    dh_testdir
>    dh_auto_configure
>    dh_auto_build
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/joey/src/filters'
> echo -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

We must be talking about separate things:

$ head -n3 Makefile
build:
        echo CPPFLAGS: $(CPPFLAGS)
        echo DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH: $(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
$ cat debian/compat
9
$ fakeroot debian/rules build
dh build
   dh_testdir
   dh_auto_configure
   dh_auto_build
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/dhtest-1.0'
echo CPPFLAGS: -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
CPPFLAGS: -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
echo DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH:
DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH:

Which means I can't use DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH in the config-scripts,
unfortunately.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook                                            @debian.org