Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 01:03:18PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Kees Cook wrote:
> > - Export DEB_* environment variables to the script. This really feels
> >   like the missing piece to me.

> dh already does that in v9 mode.

While I had originally believed this to be the case when drafting
<http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation>, feedback from those
implementing this in practice is that dh does *not* export these variables,
it only passes them to autoconf.  So the DEB_* variables are set in the
environment when debian/rules is invoked via dpkg-buildpackage because
dpkg-buildpackage itself sets them; they are not set in the environment when
debian/rules is called directly.

If dh were to export the dpkg-architecture variables by default in v9, I
think that would be a big help here.