Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

On 12/07/2011 11:47 PM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Now that we’ve made incredible progress in terms of obfuscation, I’d
> appreciate if we could have a working solution that does not require
> scripting for the most trivial operations. So what remains?
>       * Convincing Joey to revert this useless change and actually
>         commit something useful.
>       * NMU debhelper.
>       * Technical committee.
>       * Fork dh_install in a new package.

It is up to you to use debhelper or not, so just use something else - you have
experience in writing tools-which-do-the-same-thing-as-existing-tools. You could
report a bug report if you don't like it, but it is up to Joey to follow it or
not. You could do a NMU if you want people to complain about your behaviour to
DAM. You could even talk to the CTTE if you want to waste more people's time.
And yes, you could even fork (its open source!) a dh_install package - or
instead of wasting ftp master resources, just ship your own dh_install script in
your debian folders.

I'll happily use the new dh_install feature instead of whining.