Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@ubuntu.com> writes:

>> See my workaround in the mail you quoted. "#! /bin/sh $PATH" should work
>> for kFreeBSD and pretty much anything else out there too. An extra
>> /bin/sh never hurt anybody!
>
> Except that it forces your interpreter to be written in sh, which Debian doesn't
> like[1][2].
>
> [1] http://lintian.debian.org/tags/script-with-language-extension.html

This is irrelevant, as it's only about the extension, and only about
scripts on the path. My proposal has no extension, and isn't on the
path, either.

> [2] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-scripts

This also doesn't talk about restricting the #! interpreter to
binaries. The only restriction it makes is that csh scripts should be
avoided. (And that's a should, not a must)

Besides, dpatch has been using #! /bin/sh $PATH for more than 7 years
now. Please, pretty please, find a policy violation in that, and we can
suddenly break a thousand packages in one swift swing of an arm!