Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@ubuntu.com> writes:

> On 08/12/2011 07:12, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>>
>> And by extend, I mean something like:
>>
>> ,----
>> | #! /usr/bin/dh_multiarchify
>> | /usr/lib/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}/*
>> `----
>>
>> The /usr/bin/dh_multiarchify script would do the sed magic. This would
>> make the simple cases simple, and would still allow one to do
>> complicated magic, if so need be.
>
> I would much rather prefer a substvars-ish approach, similar to what
> dpkg-gencontrol does. Making .install executable at all (even if it has a
> standard #! interpreter) makes things a lot harder to standardize. Like Josselin
> mentioned, bonus points for implementing this in a different language for each
> package.

I disagree. Look at dpatch. It had executable patches since the
beginning, and a standardised script from 2.0 onwards.

Too many different implementations were never a problem in that case,
and shouldn't be in this, either. I believe most of the people who do
need this kind of feature realize that reinventing the wheel would be
counter-productive, and will try to come to an agreement, and use very
similar approaches.