Re: 2.6+ kernel make-tag problem

#1 If I use ./linux-2.6.38/README I get errors (see below).
   If I use ./linux-2.4.20/README I get a [good] kernel.

#2 Nowhere can I find "root=/dev/hdax" needs to be "root=/dev/sdax" due to new SATA changes in driver code. Others have reported this. I found it by accident! (see error below)

#3 None of the "kernel bug report" sites load in firefox (i get a 404, why? ipv6 only?). I can't post bug to them and have no "gpg key" either.

#4 kernel source "make help" says "deb-dpkg" is an option. but it does not make a package. (it prepares several things for 3 or 4 potential packages then stops) ---- make install is also a complication.

These are "every day" problems I know. But for NEWBIES. Did you know if they go to www.tldp.org (linux-HOWTO) one finds kernel HOWTO has be REMOVED ?

In that respect they are making undocumented changes that break things and what is a newbie to do ?

It's not as if things are more complicated before (consider X emacs, Tex) if anything far less ! It's that they are leaving ends more untied. why ?

Thanks for looking have a great day !

	John