Re: Distribution and support for Debian-502-i386-netinst

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:38:35 +0000, Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:
On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 19:35 +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
On 2011-12-03, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 18:58:55 +0000 (UTC), Philipp Kern
><trash@philkern.de> wrote:
>>On 2011-12-02, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
>>> I also support this and think it is a really good idea. But please >>> keep x.y.z-1 around and easily accessible when x.y.z is released.
>>You can jigdo any old CD image.
> How do I do this for a past point release, such as, 6.0.1, for
> example?

You use jigdo?  Try it, it works.

In my experience jigdo does not work for a CD release of a previous
point release because some of the packages referenced by the jigdo are
removed from the mirrors i.e. those which have been updated.

Actually jigdo has a mechanism to fallback to a certain server for packages
it can not download from the given mirror. That is:
zcat debian-502-i386-netinst.jigdo
[Servers]
Debian=http://us.cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/snapshot/Debian/ --try-last

apparently this 'try-last' repo does not store historical packages long enough for any reason. In that case the unfinished image can still be mounted loopback and re-used, but this time the snapshot.debian.org mirror could be given as a mirror
to finally finish the image.

$ zgrep -i generated debian-502-i386-netinst.jigdo
Info='Generated on Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:07:10 +0200'

Then you navigate the required dated URL at:
http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/

which is the case of debian-502 should be something like:
http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20090629T101044Z/

(yes, this is not very convenient)