Re: The state of geoclue in Debian

On 12/03/2011 05:33 PM, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
>> - Ubuntu splitted the package and applied various changes without getting in
>> contact with their Debian upstream about it. I'm not willing to try to figure
>> out what they did and why and if it makes sense.
>
> From a quick look at the package, it seems to me that this was done in
> order for Canonical to not have to provide support for the ofono and
> libgypsy build depends. geoclue is in Ubuntu main. Packages in main
> also pull their build depends into main. There is an implication of
> some level of support from Canonical for packages in main. So this is
> not something that should really interest Debian.

It should as it means that it will be a PITA to find patches which were applied
in Ubuntu and should be applied in Debian, too - or it means that we'll just
recreate the same patches as they are hidden somewhere in the mess Ubuntu made
without talking to anybody. Exactly that is the kind of bullshit why a lot of
Debian people hate what Ubuntu does. Thanks for wasting your and our time
instead of just talking to the people who maintain a package you want to change.