Re: Mistake in postrm preventing functioning of newer package (stable/testing/unstable)

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:54:32PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 12:42:11 +0200, sean finney wrote:

> > On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 11:37:41AM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> > > I just wanted to (try to) fix it for the biggest number of people possible.
> > > Maybe I'll just leave stable as-is, and try the solution I described within
> > > testing/unstable :/

> > Another option, as awful as it sounds, is to nuke (or surgically modify)
> > the postrm script of the old package from the preinst of the new package.
> > You would need to support that until the current stable was rotated out
> > through oldstable.  Yes, awful.  But I've seen it done before...

> I didn't think to that, and it seems the only solution to ensure clean
> upgrade paths.

Another option, if you're not confident of getting the postrm surgery right,
is to have your preinst script simply abort if it detects an upgrade from a
known-buggy version, instructing the admin to manually purge the package and
reinstall.  This isn't a great option either because it means a dist-upgrade
will be interrupted, but it's more error-resistant than trying to, say, edit
a shell script with sed.