Re: Mistake in postrm preventing functioning of newer package (stable/testing/unstable)

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 08:28:09AM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> Hello fellow developers,
> recently I uploaded a new version of bpython -- from 0.9.7.1-1 to 0.10.1-1 --
> and I switched from dh_pysupport to dh_python2 in the meanwhile.
>
> However, I didn't notice a huge upgrade bug: 0.9.7.1-1's postrm inconditionally
> removed /usr/lib/python*/*-packages/bpython (I can't exactly remember why I put
> it there in the first place), and this seems to have effect on files installed
> by 0.10.1-1 as well -- with dh_python2, symlinks are shipped in the package and
> not created at install-time.
>
> The first solution I thought was to re-switch from dh_python2 to dh_pysupport,
> fixing the postrm and waiting for the package to enter testing. Only then,
> upload a dh_python2 version to sid.
>
> However, the buggy postrm is also present in stable, so the above trick won't
> work when users will upgrade from stable to new-stable.
>
> Since there's a point release coming, I wonder whether the right course of
> action now is: fixing the package in stable plus what described above.

Sadly, there's no way to ensure no one will directly upgrade from a buggy
version.  This could be either caused by people not doing regular upgrades
(kind of an admin error), but also by installing stable just to upgrade to
testing, or perhaps even (then) oldstable.

Thus, I'm afraid you have to deal with this possibility at least until after
wheezy is released -- and preferably, as long as squeeze is supported.

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!