Re: Status of circulars dependencies in unstable

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:
>
> > Would one of the following work?
>
> > 1. Merge perl and perl-modules. Some waste across architectures in the
> >    archive, but not horribly much.
>
> This is probably the simplest solution conceptually and in terms of tool
> changes required, but the Perl maintainers weren't very fond of it the
> last few times it's been proposed.

If the size is the issue, then switching to XZ mitigates a bit the
problem, I repacked's perl-modules's data.tar.gz and here are the sizes:
$ ls -l data.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhertzog rhertzog 4766912  7 sept. 08:15 data.tar.gz
$ ls -al data.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhertzog rhertzog 3165408  7 sept. 08:15 data.tar.xz

So it's about 3 Mb per arch that are lost instead of almost 5 Mb per
arch (and this is with xz -6).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer