Re: Status of circulars dependencies in unstable

On 2011-09-04 13:49, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I think it should now be clear that there aren’t any such issues that
> cannot be fixed, with more or less complication.
>
> Given the benefits for dependency resolvers to be able to guarantee the
> dependency tree is actually a tree and not a DAG, isn’t it time to start
> mandating this in the policy?

While I also would want Debian to eventually get rid of circular
dependencies, I am not sure about (the value of) the benefits.

For example, even by default dependency resolvers have to consider
Depends-Recommends loops. And if the user has selected to install Suggests
by default (yeah, yeah, mostly theoretic-only but still possible), there
will be a lot of Depends-Suggests or Recommends-Suggests loops.

Also these benefits will be quite delayed, even without counting
third-party repositories dependency resolvers will have to wait at least
2 stable releases until they could drop the relevant parts of the code.

Therefore I think _for this moment_ mandating in the policy will be too
strict.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer