Re: A few observations about systemd

Le jeudi 21 juillet 2011 à 20:01 +0200, Stephan Seitz a écrit :
> I still don’t see the great advantages of systemd. It has some, yes, but
> how many people are really affected by the problems of our standard init?
> I’m using Debian for over ten years (server and desktop) and have never
> had a problem that would make me change sysvinit. I still don’t use
> insserv and have file-rc installed on all of my systems. I love it when
> I can disable a service by writing „exit 0” on top of its init script. So
> why should I want to switch? And yes, I disable NetworkManager on any
> system as well. I don’t need it.

So, since you don’t need it, other people don’t need it either?
You know, there are some who just want to use their server or desktop,
not to spend their time editing files to tune boot ordering.

> I don’t care if systemd is part of Debian, so you can choose to install
> it, like you can choose between sysklogd, syslog-ng and rsyslog. But
> I don’t think it is worth to replace sysvinit.

That’s utter bullshit. There is ZERO point in being able to choose
between several init systems. If the technology allows it, it’s fine to
leave a choice, but making it a precondition for any development is the
road to disaster. Users expect one init system that works fine, not 3
with different sets of flaws.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :