Re: A few observations about systemd

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:34:57AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:13:02PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Jon Dowland, le Mon 18 Jul 2011 10:35:30 +0100, a écrit :
> > > 3. drop kfreebsd (and HURD and others)
> >
> > 3 basically means dropping "Universal" from Debian, and replace it with
> > "Linux".
>
> I seem to recall "Universal" existing long before a non-Linux port.  I don't
> interpret "Universal" as meaning "more than one kernel", nor Debian's heart
> to be the userland in exclusivity.

There's more to "Universal" than supporting multiple kernel ports. I've
blogged about this: http://pthree.org/?p=1191.

Dropping the kFreeBSD port would be a sad day for me. I want that port for
3 reasons:

    1. ZFS
    2. pf
    3. stability

With regards to an init(8) system, it would seem to make the most sense to
run a BSD init(8) with a BSD kernel, but I understand the previous
arguments that have been made here as well.

Just my thoughts from a Debian GNU/kFreeBSD admin.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o