Re: A few observations about systemd

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 14:00 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ben Hutchings writes ("Re: A few observations about systemd"):
> > What's more, neither of the 'ports' to other kernels increases hardware
> > support.
>
> What they do provide is healthy competition for Linux.  There are
> reasons why some users prefer the BSD kernel to Linux.  Talking as if
> increased hardware support were the sole criterion to prefer one
> kernel to another is to miss those reasons.
>
> There are some serious problems with the Linux kernel.  I still run it
> but I am much more comfortable that there is a choice.

The question is why that choice has to exist within Debian.

> > I fundamentally disagree with the idea that all our packages must avoid
> > relying on certain features because some developers want to experiment
> > with FreeBSD (which already has a Linux emulation layer) or Hurd (a
> > long-running joke) and they are lacking these features.  This doesn't
> > serve users, it serves those developers.
>
> I don't know how many Debian kFreeBSD users there are.  But neither do
> you.

Current popcon counts for the release architecture are:

i386             : 64901
amd64            : 42128
armel            : 1248
powerpc          : 592
sparc            : 249
ia64             : 63
kfreebsd-amd64   : 40
mipsel           : 39
kfreebsd-i386    : 36
s390             : 11
mips             : 7

The graphs seem to show each of the kFreeBSD architectures going from
about 20 installations before 'squeeze' release, increasing sharply,
then dropping to their current values.  I don't doubt there are users
outside of the project itself.  There just aren't very many.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Absolutum obsoletum. (If it works, it's out of date.) - Stafford Beer