Re: [Lennart Poettering] Re: A few observations about systemd

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 05:31:37PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Debian is the 'Universal' operating system
>
> "Universal operating system" is a phrase that was added to our website
> most likely by Bruce Perens in April 1997. (He posted about it to
> -private then; there was no discussion.) Not very coincidentally, Debian
> made 3 press releases around that time, about the space shuttle flights.
> So beyond a certian resonance, this PR phrase has about as much modern
> significance as "Vice President of Engineering", which is another phrase
> Bruce inflicted in Debian around the same time.

The key difference being that the former stuck, while the latter didn't.

Where it came from is less important than what it represents today to
some of us. I believe I can read in your post that you don't like it;
but certainly this is not true for all of us.

the following formula:

pi zz a