Re: [Lennart Poettering] Re: A few observations about systemd

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:18:14PM +0000, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon <at> debian.org> writes:
> > I'm sure that systemd does much better than a traditional sysvinit boot with
> > /bin/bash and no dependency-based booting.  But then, so does Debian's
> > current boot system, and so does upstart; and neither of the latter two
> > involve grandiose claims of a "shell-free boot".  Trying to take the shell
> > completely out of the boot means a definite tradeoff here between boot speed
> > and configurability/maintainability, and in the absence of hard numbers, I

> Tradeoff? What tradeoff?

The tradeoff of hard-coding policy into C code in exchange for faster boot.

> Sysv-style init scripts are messy, definitely not maintainable, and
> theoretically configurable in the "turing-complete" sense but hard to
> modify in practice.

Yes, all of this is true.  You seem to have mistaken my criticism of the
systemd model for a defense of sysvinit, which it was not.  A system where
*everything* is a shell script is not very maintainable; but neither is a
system whose design is predicated on the idea that everything is built-in.

The middle ground between the two seems to be upstart.

> systemd service configuration wins in boot speed,

You did actually read my message, right, where I observed that there are no
published numbers to support this claim in a relevant head-to-head
comparison?  And your only response is to repeat the unsubstantiated claim?

> > Though this is still a pretty misleading comment, since both of these
> > statements are also true:

> >   All major distros either made sysvinit the default or include it in their
> >   distro.

> >   All major distros either made upstart the default or include it in their
> >   distro.

> It's not that misleading after all when you consider how quickly systemd has
> reached that position.

Um, of course it is.  Claiming that "it's included in the distro" as if
that's some sort of major milestone is *incredibly* misleading.  Lots of
things are included in lots of distros that are never going to be used by
default.  Debian has certainly not made a decision to use systemd yet, but
that doesn't stop Lennart from using the package's presence in the Debian
archive in his propaganda.