Re: A few observations about systemd

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 06:26:34PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Yes, and that's exactly what I find worrying about Lennart's attitude:
> he presumes to impose his policy on you -- you must use Linux, you must
> use a recent kernel with cgroups enabled, you're not supposed to use
> shell scripts, etc.

Whilst I share your concerns about Poettering's attitude (and my heart sank
only three lines into his reply that you forwarded to -devel),  I think only
supporting Linux is entirely his perogative:  It's his project, his time and he
can support what he wants.  (Or it's Red Hat's time, and they can support
whatever they want).   Likewise,  a recent kernel does not seem like a problem,
and cgroups seems like a fairly core part of what systemd does.

The shell script thing I have more of a problem with, although I take his point
about the quality of init scripts at present[1].

I don't suppose it would be worth maintaining a patch-set in Debian to support
other OSs: In a hypothetical future where systemd was the default init system
for Debian, it's probably less work to support multiple init systems and let
K*BSD/Hurd/*[2] pick another.

[1] whilst implementing puppet, I filed #629654 and #629910, and I was just
    getting started ☹
[2] has anyone started a Debian/Plan 9 yet? ;)

--
Jon Dowland