Re: UDD access from Alioth(s children) (Was: Alioth status update, take 3)

On 15/06/11 at 08:36 +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> As a secondary issue, I think it might be useful to let DDs 'scratch
> their itch' when it comes to QA work in a light weight way.   However,
> I'm not in the QA team, so I can't make decisions about what sort of
> access the QA team wants to give to other project members.  In general,
> I am in favor of open access to resources and self-service, but you may
> not be.

The QA team is very open to welcoming new members and their
contributions. However, not everything can be labelled as QA work, and
not everybody wants to do work inside a team, so I'm relunctant to use
the QA infrastructure as a placeholder for every script people want to
run on alioth.

> Also, I don't think it's a good idea in general for the project to
> rely on anything in someone's $HOME, as we've seen that go wrong far
> too often.  I would like to encourage people to move services that are
> useful to an appropriate place.

Before you can prove that a service is useful, you need to develop it.
For that, it's convenient to have a place which is similar to the final
destination of the service, where you can easily hack. Also, it's often
not desirable to hack on the production version of a service.

A good solution could be to serve public_html from wagner instead of
vasks. I don't really see the point in serving it from vasks.

Alternatively, we could use collab-maint's htdocs, but there's an ACL
missing on wagner:/home/groups/collab-maint/htdocs.

- Lucas