On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 12:27:10AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Why would it be the release team's responsibility to cherry-pick from
> anywhere? It is the maintainer's responsibility to prepare packages that
> are suitable for the next stable release. I don't see why this would
> change.

Hi Lucas,

I feel that this mail does somewhat identify what may be the core
misunderstanding on what is done in the release team. At the moment,
this is exactly what we do, and I strongly feel one of the reasons that
Debian has a reputation for stable releases.

In an ideal world maintainers would submit bug free packages, but this
simply does not happen. As a maintainer of a package which was removed
from the last stable release, I know only too well the apathy with
support for stable at times, but this does NOT mean we should try and
circumvent it.

The manual checking of packages ensures a level of stability that other
distributions are unable to match (IMO, YMMV etc).

(Feel free to skip the rest of the mail, it is all personal opinion from
now on...)
This is one of the things that makes Debian what it is, and makes me
want to be involved with the project. We don't chase after the latest
and greatest new shiny thing. We don't boast about the number of users
we have, or how many systems we run. We do what is legally *right*,
technically *correct*, and morally *sound*.

If this is ever forgotten, we simply become a Linux distribution, rather
than the Debian project.

Neil
Q. Why is top posting bad?
gpg key - http://www.halon.org.uk/pubkey.txt ; the.earth.li A40F862E