Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 28/04/11 at 12:05 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > And at the same time, having a non-frozen rolling release available
> > during freeze time could easily distract people from working on
> > testing/frozen at all, because a shiny rolling release that they and
> > some users can use is still available. I am unhappy during the current
> > choke point of testing being frozen, but that choke point does serve as
> > an incentive for the whole project to work in the same direction: toward
> > actually getting a good stable release out.
>
> That's not true. It serves as an incentive for a large number of DDs to
> just do something else until the freeze is over and they can start
> working on their packages again. (easy to show by looking at the number
> of distinct uploaders over time, for example).

I apologise for using the word "whole" and spawning an apparently
useless sub-thread (though with some nice data I guess).

Obviously, "the whole project" is never aligned at working on any one
goal; however a freeze is the point in time at which more of the project
is involved in getting the release out than other times.

> > To most users of testing, a 5 month period when it
> > doesn't update as much, but is also more constantly usable is mostly
> > a draw; that period is when testing has the most new users.
>
> Interesting. Where does that information come from?

Being subscribed and reading every message of debian-user for decades,
as well as at least seeing the titles of all installation reports ever
reported, as well as I think some popcon numbers. In other words: Gut
feeling of an overfed neural network.

--
see shy jo