Re: network-manager as default? No!

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 07:40:33PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 03:23:32PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>>> NM may be good for laptops, so put it in the laptop task and leave the
>>> rest alone in the default installation.
>> And keep the installer unable to do things as widespread as WPA?
>> And keep it unable to generate a proper configuration for laptops?
>
> How many systems are needing WLAN for installation?
> Servers don’t have WLAN, I never have seen a Desktop with WLAN (neither
> in companies nor private PCs).

I've used a wifi USB NIC in a desktop for years.  My circa-2006 desktop machine
had it built-in.  I've also fallen back to it on machines where I normally use
wired, when we've had network switch problems (and our wifi is routed via
different switches).  Granted, where I have the chance, I will use wired for a
static machine.  However I've only just renovated my study and ran some
Ethernet: for the 18 months before that I relied on wifi.  One or two fresh
installations in that time required moving the machine, or running temporary
cabling.

All Mac desktops currently on sale (iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro) feature built-in
wifi adaptors and we've had to rely on it for one or two of the machines we
look after at work when we moved things around and lacked enough cabling for
them all.  Some friends of mine use it exclusively rather than run cable around
their houses.

There are other classes of device where it can be essential (some SOHO NAS
devices, internet tablets and F/OSS capable mobile phones), although many of
those require a custom installation method anyway.

--
Jon Dowland