Re: network-manager as default? No!

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 03:32:18PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
This was stated in the original proposal: ifupdown is not event-based and does not integrate correctly with modern boot systems.

So what? ifupdown is working on most setups without problems with VLANs bonds, or bridges out of the box without unnecessary dependencies and daemons. Beside I am not interested in having my network reconfigured by a stupid daemon finding some „events”. I don’t even use event base boot systems (still using file-rc), because I don’t like the idea.

Sticking to this unmaintained piece of software with a design for systems from the 80s only leads to an increasing amount of complexity to

This design has not changed much. Even today most systems still have the same configuration as they had for the last ten years. One IP address, one gateway and some DNS servers.

The configuration for ifupdown has become easier in the last years as well. In the beginning you had to script your VLAN or bond magic yourself, now there already exists hooks.

I certainly don’t mind having N-M in the archives. If someone wish to install it, he should be able to. But I don’t want N-M as part of the base installation and handling my network without me choosing to do so.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |