Re: network-manager as default? No!

* 2011-04-06T16:45:03+02:00 * Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> (Sun Apr 3
> 12:37:26 2011):
>> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:11:03AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
>>> But if network-manager would become default and ifupdown an optional
>>> replacement, I would question Debian's capacity to make technically
>>> excellent decisions and wonder, how much we have been dragged along
>>> by "user-friendly distros" and slid off the track.
>>
>> I agree. If that happens I will seriously think about moving to
>> another distro (I have been using Debian since around 1999). Or maybe
>> to a *BSD.
>
> Using Debian (and partly supporting it) since about 1996: as soon as
> the network manager and similar tools become the default, it will be
> Debian's last days on my and our customers machines.

There is a pretty good technical discussion going on about this subject
at the very moment. If you have useful information to add to that
discussion please share it. Stating that "if you do this, I'm gonna
leave" does not help. Technical information is more useful. Someone who
really understands how different alternatives work could add valuable
information and opinions to the discussion. You know, everyone wants to
make Debian better and there is this usual challenge of having different
tools with different advantages and disadvantages. How to combine as
much advantages as possible?