Re: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Heiko Schlittermann <hs@schlittermann.de> wrote:
> Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> (Sun Apr  3 12:37:26 2011):
>> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:11:03AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
>> > But if network-manager would become default and ifupdown an optional
>> > replacement, I would question Debian's capacity to make technically
>> > excellent decisions and wonder, how much we have been dragged along
>> > by "user-friendly distros" and slid off the track.
>>
>> I agree. If that happens I will seriously think about moving to
>> another distro (I have been using Debian since around 1999). Or maybe
>> to a *BSD.
>
> Using Debian (and partly supporting it) since about 1996: as soon as the
> network manager and similar tools become the default, it will be Debian's
> last days on my and our customers machines.

Wow. Just because a certain network configuration system is the
*default*? Are you this polar about text editors, web browsers, DE,
and other tools, too?

It seems like this thread is no longer productive.

-matt zagrabelny