Re: time based freezes

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011, Carsten Hey wrote:
> I believe we need to know a vague time frame for freezing instead.
>
> With your proposal the release team might announce:
>
>   We released on the 7th of February 2011 and freeze Wheezy one and a half
>   year later on the 7th of October 2012.
>
> With mine they could announce:
>
>   We released in February 2011 and we want about one and a half year
>   between a releases and the following freeze, so we freeze in fall
>   2012.
>
> > My rationale for the above is simple: *road maps*.  Each team and
> > individual developer should be able to define their own road maps very
> > early in a release cycle. Doing so will help teams in planning and
> > splitting work.
>
> Both would address the roadmap issue.

I don't agree with this. You can do _a lot_ in 3 months. So saying "fall"
leaves a big uncertainty in terms of roadmap.

Also when you consider a kernel that comes out every 3-4 months, it means
you might target an older version than what you really need due to this
uncertainty.

We don't need a firm date but the uncertainty should not be bigger than a
month IMO.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer