Re: enable/disable support in /usr/sbin/service

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> wrote:
>> | In particular, considering the possibility of other init systems coming
>> | (see #591791), would /usr/sbin/service enable/disable still be a proper,
>> | init-system-independent, abstraction?
>>
>> I'm guessing service would have to learn how all other init systems
>> work, or have a way to tell them when they are installed (so «install
>> foo; disable foo ; change init system» still leaves foo disabled).
>
> I started a discussion about this topic but with another focus:
> http://bugs.debian.org/588085
> (message #21 is the one closest to this thread)

service is the UI and invoke-rc.d is the API for starting/stopping services.
chkconfig (not yet available) is the UI and update-rc.d is the API for
setting when services should be started/stopped.

One issue you mention is that services are started by logrotate when
they weren't running before. This should be solved by clearly defining
the semantics of the actions used and by simplifying init scripts
(reducing code duplication / moving code to libs).

--
Olaf