Re: new scripts and patches for devscripts

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:51:50 -0800
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 06:32:28PM +0100, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> > >get-build-deps
>
> > Is this an alias for "apt-get build-dep $1"?
>
> No, it's a tool that's been long missing from a Debian as a standard
> interface - "install the build-dependencies for the package in my current
> directory".
>
> This may not be the best implementation/name/semantics, but there's
> definitely a gap to be closed there, as 'dpkg-checkbuilddeps' provides no
> easy way to feed the missing package list to apt, and 'apt-get build-deps'
> can't look at the local directory.

embuilddeps, part of the xapt package, can now be used for that -
currently in unstable. It also does cross-dependencies, for such time
as we still need those to be done via xapt and dpkg-cross. embuilddeps
uses the Dpkg perl modules directly and passes the results to apt-get,
optionally also passing the full list (not including packages you've
already got installed) to xapt for processing via dpkg-cross. If you
don't specify an architecture to embuilddeps, it will do just what you
outlined.

--

Neil Williams